How to use vitamin c serum?
Reasons why to Add Vitamin C Serum to Your Skin Care Routine
You have a skincare routine? So you have likely know vitamin c serum.
How to use vitamin c serum before or after other skin care products, morning, or evening and possible side effects
Vitamin c has powerful antioxidant benefits products that enhance collagen production to protect your skin from aging or fine marks and improve your skin tone that gives your face healthy skin with a bright radiance.
So if you are going to add vitamin c serum to your skincare routine, this article will give you all your needs about questions you may ask
Steps before using vitamin c serum:
1- check for allergic reactions(patch test)
- For your safety to avoid any allergic reactions, before using any product in your daily skincare routine you must do a patch test.
- So to do this test, in your inner wrist apply one drop of vit c serum in a small patch and circle by any sign to check the reaction in 24 hours.
- If there is no itching or redness this means that you have no allergy and you can use your product.
- But you should never use it if your skin is irritated with signs of red patches or itching due to sensitivity.
2- Determine when to use vit c serum
The dermatologists recommed using of the serum according to the concentration, forms, and thickness of the product. Furthermore, using other exfoliating products same as retinoids, AHAs or BHAs.
- the concentration varies from 5 % to 20%, and the 20% is considered highly concentrated and less than 10 % is considered low concentration that can not penetrate the skin for absorption.
- Also, there are many forms of vitamin c products serum (L-ascorbic acid, trahexyldecyl ascorbate, ascorbyl palmitate, and sodium ascorbyl phosphate), the potent form of vitamin c is L-ascorbic acid.
AHAs are(glycolic acid, lactic acid, citric acid, tartaric acid malic acid, mandelic acid).
BHAs like (salicylic acid).
So according to the factors of form, concentration, thickness you have two choice :
A- applying the serum in the morning
- The light texture, and low concentration of vitamin c serum used in the morning to protect your skin from sun damage caused by free radicals “the reason for skin cancer” (As vitamin c is a potent antioxidant).
- Also use the serum in the morning if you are using retinol, or other exfoliating materials AHAs or BHAs to avoid sensitivity reactions.
- apply sunscreen after the serum if you decided to use it in the morning.
Tips for daytime use:
Select the moisturizer with SPF30 or above to protect your skin.
B- applying the serum in the night
- The high concentration of vit c serum you should use before your moisturizer at night to avoid sensitivity reactions that may be caused by sun exposure.
The right way of applying vit c serum on your face :
- Wash your face with your favorite cleanser and then dry your skin.
- Use your facial toner to remove dead cells and the remaining of the cleanser, then let it dry.
- Apply your favorite vit c serum and let it be absorbed for at least 10 minutes before applying your night moisturizer or any other skincare product.
- If there is any excess of the product after face application, use it in your hands, neck.
- After you feel that it completely absorbed, use your moisturizer across the face
- Apply your favorite anti-aging eye cream after using the serum.
- Your makeup comes after using vit c serum, as the serum can be used as a layer underneath any skincare product without feeling sticky.
- If you are using any AHAs(Alpha Hydroxy Acids) or BHAs(Beta Hydroxy Acids), you must wait a few minutes before applying vit c serum to avoid irritation caused by using both products at the same time.
Tip for oily skin :
Use an atoner that contains benzoyl peroxide, however, you must let it dry for five minutes to avoid the decreased efficacy of the serum when mixed with benzoyl peroxide.
Try to use the formula of vit c serum with zinc once per day.
vitamin c will decrease inflammation caused by acne. Furthermore, zinc will fight the bacteria that cause acne.
Take care when using niacinamide (vitamin b3) it may decrease the efficacy of the serum.
How to use vitamin c with your skincare products?
Let me say, it’s completely easy to layer your skin care product but you should give each one of them the right time to be absorbed and dried before using the next one.
1-How to use vitamin c serum with a chemical exfoliant
- if you decided to use chemical exfoliant for example AHAs or BHAs, you should never use them at the same time.
- So preferred to use vitamin c serum in the morning and exfoliant at night with using sunscreen in the daytime.
2-How to use vitamin c with hyaluronic acid serum
- Hyaluronic acid has a high hygroscopic property that can bind and retain moisture, keeping up to 1,000 times its weight in water, and making your skin more moisturized.
- So, hyaluronic acid is a powerful anti-aging moisturizer that often thicker than vit c serum.
- So according to the role in skincare (go from thinnest to thickest)
- It’s preferred to use vit c serum first and let it be completely absorbed and dried, then you can use your favorite hyaluronic acid but you must consider using sunscreen for maximum protection.
3-How to use vitamin c serum with retinol?
- Retinol is still a magical serum especially when mixed with C serums for your fine lines or wrinkle marks. Vitamin C, Retin A, and retinol make up about 80 percent of all serum
- Retinol serum is one of the most effective skincare ingredients, and if you going to use retinol products with vitamin c serums you must consider never mixing or use them at the same time as they may irritate your skin.
- The best way to use them is to use them at different times of the day (for example vitamin c serum in the morning, and retinoids at night)
- But if you are going to use them at the same time of the day, you should consider never mixing them together and use vitamin c serum first then let it absorbed well(keep not less than half an hour in between application) then you can use your retinol products.
OTHER related Questions of using vitamin c serum
What part of the face should I avoid with Vitamin C serum?
As with most skin care products, you should avoid the eye area. Also, the areas that are sensitive to your particular skin.
How often should you use vitamin c serum?
Dermatologists recommend using Vit c serum every single day for the best benefits, especially after exfoliating your skin to :
- Enhance penetration of skincare products
- Increase collagen production,
- Furhermore improve skin tone.
Benefits of using vitamin c with other skincare products
the advantages of using vitamin c serum in your skin routine care are various according to the term of usage:
- In short-term use, it increases the radiance and sheen of your skin.
- In long-term use, it improves your skin texture enhances collagen production and increases the firmness of your skin.
- vitamin c is a potent antioxidant, that protects your skin from free radical(that caused by ultraviolet light by scavenging)
Side Effects of using Vitamin C on your skin:
- In general, vitamin C is a safe skin product for regular daily use. However, the potential side effects may be from:
- Using the high concentrated vit c serums
- may cause some irritation, especially when used with other exfoliant acids, or if you have extremely sensitive skin and you may cant tolerate it.
- So in these sensitive skin cases:
- You should avoid using that concentrated serum and look for others with light low concentrations.
- In oily skin cases :
- Most vitamin c serums may be oily, and this a problem you must consider, so you should find your product that suitable for your oily skin type.