Dapagliflozin propanediol 5 MG Oral Tablet
|Brand name Or ID||1486979|
|Full generic name||dapagliflozin propanediol 5 MG Oral Tablet|
|Drug display name||Dapagliflozin propanediol (Oral Pill)|
|Dose form||Oral Tablet|
|Drug concentration||5 mg|
|Route of administration||Oral Pill|
|Pregnancy category||Not classified yet|
What is dapaglflozin?
Dapagliflozin It is an oral medication that physicians use to treat diabetes mellitus which means high blood glucose levels because of insulin deficiency.
Dapaglflozin aims at lowering this high glucose level.
Its use reduces the need for hospitalization and the risk of complications of the high glucose for long periods.
Its use leads to loss of weight, on the contrary of other hypoglycemic medication.
Most probably, its dose is once daily starting with 5 mg dose and the doctor may increase it to 10 mg daily according to the response.
It is taken with or without meal in the morning time.
The patient should check his blood sugar on a regular basis. Moreover, the patient should do routine checkups.
Indication of dapagliflozin
It is beneficial for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus but the patient should undergo diet control and physical exercise.
It can be combined with other antidiabetic medications for better control of glucose.
If used in type 1 diabetes, it should be combined with insulin.
Dapagliflozin reduces the risk of cardiovascular hospitalization and death because of heart failure.
Mechanism of action of Dapagliflozin
It encourages the kidneys to remove glucose from the blood to be excreted in the urine.
Drug Side effect
Side effect of dapagliflozin
- Allergic reaction mainly, facial and lips swelling, rash, tongue and throat swelling, as well as difficulty breathing.
- Dehydration which can be noticed by being light-headed, or dizzy, as well as thirsty and weak.
- Ketoacidosis i.e.: increased blood acidity. It gives symptoms such as abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. Moreover, nervous manifestation e.g.: confusion and drowsiness.
- Increase the risk of infection in the urinary tract. Its signs are pain on urination, changed urine color, and amount. Systemic manifestations such as fever and body ache, as well as a sense of fatigue.
- Risk of extra-urinary infections, such as throat and genital infection.
- Sense of fatigue and weakness. In addition, body pains and leg and feet swelling.
- Pelvic and rectal pain.
- Renal impairment.
- Constipation and necrotizing fascitis in the perineum.
- Abnormal blood fat level ( lipid profile)
Contraindication of dapagliflozin
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Renal impairment and renal failure.
- Diabetic coma, namely diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Cancer of the urinary bladder.
- Known allergy to the medication.
- Lactating females.
- Children less than 18 years.
- Cardiac disease
Precautions to use Dapagliflozin
Patients with the following conditions should inform their doctors before being treated by dapagliflozin:
- Low blood pressure.
- Patients on a low salt diet.
- Liver or kidney disease.
- Urinary infection.
Precautions as regards meals:
The patient should stick to the healthy diet recommended by the physician and moderate the exercise and diet according to his activity.
In addition, the patient should drink plenty of water and fluids throughout the day.
- Insulin and oral antidiabetic medications, so that the patient should carry a fruit juice for fear of low blood glucose level.
The patient can take the dose if the next dose should be after 12 hours or more, otherwise, cancel this dose at all.
Other Drug Forms
read also canaglfilozin